Sunday, May 8, 2016

Gamers Unite!

Are videos as bad as everyone says they are? Do they really cause mentall illnesses such as mood disorders and extreme anxiety? There are many cases of such happening; however, video games shouldn't be looked down upon as destroyers of our normal functioning schedules. Although as a gamer, I may seem biased. However, I agree with this article in that if video games are played with consideration, some of those cases related to mental illnesses would not happen.

Because I have played video games since I was in elementary school (not exactly something to be proud of since it did cause me to be nearsighted), I can say that there are times when I would play games for 5-10 hours straight. The storyline of the games hooks me right from the start, and playing with my cousins and our friends from all over America and even Canada made it all the more addicting. At times, I would play until 3 or 4 in the morning (of course not on school days). The teamwork and fun with everyone online simply exerted a force on me in which it was nearly impossible for me to get out of my seat unless everyone was going offline as well. Also, I would skip out on homework assignments and not study at all. However, after 8th grade, I decided to change my ways because my grades had been going downhill. Also, I must prepare for high school and the many more challenges to come. And that is my embarrassing past with video game addiction. 

Although I enjoyed my days of gaming, I realized that once I started cutting down my gaming hours, I became more productive and slept more, which made my mornings feel better. I used to game nearly everyday when possible, but now I only play during the weekends, usually on Fridays because homework builds up over the week. Playing video games can really relieve my stress from school when I can focus on a virtual reality to take my mind off of things. Most of the times when I play with my friends online, there is only laughter. It truly is a place for joy. Thus, I believe that's one of the reasons why video game addiction exists. I mean it's a new world where people got along to do missions together. It almost seems like a paradise with well-programmed scenery and movement mechanics, truly a paradise filled with excitement. 

However, limiting myself to certain days for gaming really helped me stay focused during school days because I can look forward to the weekends to have fun playing games. Thus, I believe if every gamer sets a schedule for him- or herself, the cases of mental illnesses would be less likely to occur. Because of that, calling oneself a gamer would no long linger with a negative connotation like right now to which some associate gamers to lazy and messy people. Calling to all the gamers out there, we must work together to achieve the ultimate goal of leading successful lives with our interest in gaming and clearing our gamer titles of the false stereotypes!


No comments:

Post a Comment